History of Cassville
& History of the Cassville Heritage Association
The Georgia General
Assembly created the county of Cass (now Bartow County) in the year
1832. The General Assembly, in December of 1833, passed the
following: "An Act to to make permanent the site of the public
buildings in the county of Cass, at the town of Cassville, to
incorporate the same, and appoint commissioners thereof.
Cassville was the focus
of the development of northwest Georgia.
The first session of the
Georgia Supreme Court was held in Cassville with the first decision
handed down in 1846. Here's a picture of the site today:
The opening volley of
Lincoln's war came at a time when Cassville was the most prominent
town in north Georgia. There were hotels, merchants, churches, a
tailor, a wagon maker, and two Colleges. Offices of lawyers were
around the courthouse square.
When Cassville was
burned at the hands of Sherman's troops in 1864, most of the men
were away. In that bitterly cold November, women and children came
together and survived through sheer courage.
Here's a picture of the
only remaining pre-Civil War house:
After the war, most of
the professionals moved their offices and homes to Cartersville,
which had become the County Seat.
Those few families
staying in Cassville were early settlers, with substantial real
estate. They became the nucleus of the town. After the war there
were teachers, a doctor, ministers, and well to do planters.
Cassville gave the County several elected officials, such as a tax
collector, and a sheriff, among others.
Cassville has a
Confederate Cemetery with some 300 graves.
Cassville has the oldest
continuous Post Office in Georgia. It is on the National Register of
Landmarks. It's now the Cassville Museum.
On the left is
William Davis "Dave" Pittard (1861-?), who ran the general
store in Cassville, and on the right, his brother, James
Dillard "Jim" Pittard (1867-?), Bartow County Tax Collector.
Though fairly well concealed, you can still make out that
Jim is missing a hand, the casualty of a farming accident.
In the political ad below, he used the loss of his hand to
appeal for votes! From the cars I would guess this photo was
made in the 20s. Dave and Jim were Kay Borden's great
grandmother's brothers. This ad ran in the March 25, 1920
edition of The Tribune-News.
History of the Cassville Historical
Cassville Heritage Association)
The Cassville Heritage
Association was organized to honor the memory of the stalwart and
enterprising citizens of Cassville, those before the Civil War, and
There are four business
meetings per year, some with guest speakers.
Meetings are held in the
Heritage Room, in the old Cassville Bank Building. The building is
next to the fire station, and across the street from the courthouse
program for restoration of a family or favorite headstone.
Individuals may sign a form and receive assistance in locating
suitable craftsmen. Cost is borne by the individual.
During the year, one
restoration project is sponsored by the Cassville Heritage
Eleanor Thomasson was the originator of the Cassville Heritage Association. The first meeting was held May 23, 1993 in the sanctuary of the Cassville United Methodist Church.
The charter members were: Eleanor and Edwin Thomasson, Herman Bearden, Doris Matthews, Joel Kimsey, and Thomas and Emily Champion.
At this first meeting, Herman Bearden was elected President, and Joel Kimsey was elected Secretary/Treasurer.
After a recruitment campaign, the list of members included:
Eleanor & Edwin Thomasson
Joel & Annie Kimsey
Thomas & Emily Champion
Eddie & Vickie Boswell
Earl & Dean Crapps
Guy & Cynthis Dempsey
Susan & Ray Kennedy
Mrs. Clyde Tribble
Robert & Angie Wilson
The Presidents of the Association include:
Bob Crowe (current President)
History of Cassville
by Charles Wilson, Jr.
Walking through old Cassville today, one would find very few remains of the thriving city which
once existed before Sherman's Army burned and destroyed everything for miles around. Although in
many ways it still resembles the layout of the former town, Cassville was never rebuilt as an incorporated town and the
businesses never returned. Today, only three churches occupy the
same ground they
once did. The town that sat in the midst of Cherokee Georgia and
served as the county seat of Cass
County survives no more.
The town survived for only about 32 years, but sprang out of the
Cherokee nation to become the
largest, most prosperous town in the northern part of Georgia
holding the distinction of being the leading educational and cultural center in the Cherokee area. Once a
center for trade and travel, both the
county and the town were named in honor of General Lewis Cass, a
Michigan statesman and Secretary
of War in the cabinet of President Andrew Jackson. By the mid-1840's
Cassville had lost its preeminence
as a trading center due to the location of the state owned Western
and Atlantic railroad which is two
miles west of Cassville's limits. The town flourished, however, and
in 1860 was a community of about
1300 persons. In 1861 the name of the county was changed by action
of the Georgia legislature to
Bartow County in memory of General Francis S. Bartow, a native
Georgian killed at the First Battle
of Manassas. The name of the town was changed to Manassas to
Cass County was created by the Georgia legislature in 1832 and
Cassville, the county seat, was laid
out less than a year later. The town grew up in the middle of the
woods where the Cherokees were still
roaming and became a busy place. The town was built around the Court
Square in a similar fashion to
most Southern towns and a brick courthouse and jail were completed
by 1837. Just over a decade
later, Cassville boasted with pride about being the largest, most
prosperous, most culturally affluent town
in northern Georgia. After all, Cassville contained four hotels
including the fancy Latimer Hotel which
was less than a block away from the courthouse. These hotels made
Cassville an ideal place for a stage
coach stop and many took advantage of the facilities. There was a
bookstore, insurance company, several
practicing lawyers, two tailor shops, dry good stores, grocery
stores, two carriage and wagon shops, a
blacksmith, jewelry store, harness shop, livery stable, furniture
store, lumber yard, a boot and shoe maker,
brick yard, and four practicing doctors.2
Cassville was also the home of the only newspaper for miles around,
The Cassville Standard. The
first issue of The Standard was published March 15, 1849, and
continued up until the town's destruction.
The Standard was the last in a line of newspapers published in
Cassville. In 1859 the stockholders
in The Standard were Joseph Chapmon, Thomas M. Compton, William
Latimore, William Headden, M.
McMurray, arid Jesse R. Wikle who came from the Dahlonega
Watchman and bought an interest in the
paper. When Cassville was burned in 1864 The Standard offices were
destroyed and the state acclaimed
newspaper was lost forever. The only surviving copies are at the
Library of the University of Georgia.3
Once the confusion and destruction of the town were over, a
newspaper appeared in nearby Cartersville
under the name of the Cartersville Standard and Express, but this
was only namesake.
The old town of Cassville had brick sidewalks and was laid out in a
traditional village style with
square blocks spreading out from the courthouse square in the
center. On either side of the courthouse
was the main business district of town. Six stores, three on each
side, were lined about the courthouse.
The Levy store, J. D. Carpenter's store, George L. Upshaw's Store,
and Chunn and Patton's Dry Goods
store were located here. The U. S. Post Office was directly across
the street from the courthouse and
the Latimer Hotel was just past the post office. M. Murray's store,
another hotel, and the printing shop
were located on the opposite side of the courthouse square.4
The town was also the home of two fine colleges, the Cassville
Female College and the Cherokee
Baptist College both of which were housed in large brick buildings
on beautiful campuses. Girls and boys
from allover Cherokee Georgia came to Cassville to go to college.
The Female Institute was owned by
the Methodist and was located on a hill overlooking the town from
the West. The hill was known by
Cassvillians as "College Hill." Judge Nathan Land gave the Methodist
the ten acres on which the Cassville
Female College was built. By 1853, the large three-story brick
structure was erected and in full use
containing .the finest library in northern Georgia.5
The Cherokee Baptist Male College, on Chapman Hill, was located
about 3/4 of a mile northeast
of the Female Methodist College. It was a school for boys
established in January of 1854. It too was
a three-story building constructed of brick, but it had two-story
wings flanking each side of the main
structure. The school was burned in 1856 and was quickly rebuilt
within a year and included the same
floor plan as before as well as a chapel large enough to seat 800
people. There were seven recitation rooms,
a library, two rooms for other purposes, and two large halls for the
two Literary Societies to hold their
functions. The Cherokee Baptist Male College and the Female
Methodist College were the first chartered
institutions of higher education in Cherokee, Georgia. There were no
dormitories at either school, the citizens
of Cassville boarded the youngsters for a small fee. Rev. Thomas
Rambout, a native of Dublin, Ireland,
was the first President of the Cherokee Baptist Male College and
continued his duties until it was destroyed in
1864. The courses offered were in Geography, English Grammar, Latin,
Arithmetic, Greek and English
Composition, Music, Algebra, Chemistry, Geometry, Botany, and
Natural Philosophy. Cassville had been
used to fine schools even before the colleges were built. There had
been private schools as early as 1845
when Mrs. S. S. Bradley operated a school for girls and R. H. Neely
and Mrs. Neely ran a private school
for boys. But when the colleges were destroyed along with Cassville,
a notable educational center for
the northwest section of the state was gone.6
There were many fine homes in and around Cassville. It was a
pleasant place to live and there was
an element of culture and refinement in the town that could not be
found in surrounding areas. Many
of the most prominent families in the state called Cassville their
birthplace.7 It was in Cassville that
the first decision ever of the State Supreme Court was handed down.
The first paved sidewalks in upper
Georgia were laid in Cassville as well. It was one of the very first
towns in Georgia to prohibit the sale
of intoxicating liquors, and businesses in Cassville prospered as
greatly as any others in the state. Cassvillians were especially proud of their brass band which was held
together until the young men went away
to war. There was also a circus grounds used for special events.8
All in all, Cassville was a town in
which all the culture of the old South bloomed.9
There were four churches in Cassville: Baptist, Methodist,
Presbyterian, and Episcopalian. Three of
the four are still located on the same grounds they held before the
town was burned. The Baptist
building is located on the same premises but was razed in 1910 and
replaced by the present brick building.
The Methodist church is also on the same ground and although altered
somewhat is a similar building.
The location of the old Episcopalian church is unknown, but the old
Presbyterian church building stands
to this day and is the present home of a black, Methodist
Late in 1861 Confederate Hospitals were organized in Cassville and
by May of 1864 eight large Confederate hospitals were in operation. There were also several
regimental hospitals in Cassville. More than 10,000 Confederates were treated in these hospitals. More than 500
Confederates died in them, of which
about 300 are buried in the Confederate Cemetery. Also buried in the
Cassville cemetery is Bartow's
able Brigadier General W. T. Wofford.11 The only other known
Confederate soldier buried in Cassville
is W. M. Barrow of the 4th Regt. Louisiana Volunteers, who died in
1863 in a Confederate hospital
at the age of twenty. The remainder of approximately 300 unknown
soldiers sleep underneath marble
slabs on a down sloping ridge on the northern side of the cemetery.
They are aligned in jagged rows of
27 to 30 and rest underneath a grove of old cedar trees which cast
a constant shadow on their graves.12
The Cassville battle did not reach major proportions of a major
conflict. There were not that
many killings in the little fighting that actually took place. The
battle was fought Thursday, May 19,
1864 and was of more importance as to what would happen in the
future than it was of that day. Hood's
Advance and Retreat call the battle, "The Controversial Cassville
Battle," or the "Question Mark" of
the Atlanta Campaign.13 There were skirmishes in and around
Cassville the day before and then there
was further action which came a few days later.14
The Federals under William T. Sherman were headed South in early
May. They had fought at Resaca,
Calhoun, Lay's Ferry, and Adairsville in the days preceding. On May
18th Sherman waited in Adairsville
with the Army of the Tennessee under McPherson on his right.
However, McPherson had been stopped
at Woolley's home just days before and only a fragment of his force
remained in nearby Kingston.
Sherman had the Army of the Cumberland and the Army of the Ohio with
him at Adairsville. Strangely
enough however, Sherman had no idea where the Johnston Army was at
the time. He had allowed the
Confederates to retreat out of his reach.15
Click on map for a larger map.
Map copied from a drawing by Joe Mahan which appeared in the Tribune News, Cartersville, Thursday, November 2, 1939.
1. Cass County Court House
2. Cassville Female College
3. Cherokee Baptist College
4. Chunn home
5. John Laudermilk
6. Original site of Baptist Church
7. Dr. Weston Hardy
8. Judge Nathan Land
9. H. H. Holmes
10. H. H. Holmes carriage and wagon shop
11. John F. Milhollin
12. Chester Hawkes
13. Levi Branson
14. Nelson home
15. Jesse R. Wykle
16. Dr. Griffin
17. Mrs. Kenny
18. Tom Word
19. Original site of Methodist Church
20. Silah home
21. Silah furniture shop
23. Latimer Hotel
24. Post Office
25. Madison McMurrey
26. Col. Abda Johnson
27. Livery stable
28. Collins home
29. Levy store
30. J. D. Carpenter store
31. George L. Upshaw store
33. Chunn & Patton Dry Goods store
36. M. Murray store
37. Printing Shop, home of the Cassville Standard
39. William Headden Carriage Shop
40. Headden home
42. Methodist Church
43. Miss Lizzie Gaines
44. Col. Warren Akin
45. Brick kiln
47. Rev. A. G. Johnson
48. Goldsmith home
49. Presbyterian Church
50. J. D. Carpenter
51. A. C. Day, tailor
52. Baptist Chu rch
53. Saxon home
54. Rev. B. Arborgast
55. Rev. Ranbaut
56. Mercer home
Sherman assumed that since the remains of McPherson's troops were in
Kingston, that Johnston's
Army had retreated to Kingston as well. However, Johnston was in
Cassville busy digging in for a defensive stand. Sherman, still in Adairsville, made plans to attack
Kingston. Fortunately for the Union
General, he had allowed Butterfield's division to move southward
around Kingston prior to this decision.
Since they were already to the South, Sherman sent word for
Butterfield's division to move into position
to assist in the taking of Kingston. As Butterfield marched his
division, he moved in a route which took
him near Cassville. It was Butterfield's march that disclosed that
Johnston's Army was actually at Cassville -- not Kingston. Butterfield quickly notified Sherman in
Adairsville and the Kingston plans were
The majority of Sherman's Army came into Cassville from the
northeast and arrived during the
night of May 18th. It should be remembered that the fragments of the
Army of the Tennessee that were
in Kingston were cut off from Cassville at this point and never were
able to get to Cassville.17 The
discovery of Johnston's Army in Cassville came about as a stroke of
luck and there is no way of really
telling what the outcome Would have been if Sherman had wasted his
time attacking Kingston. One thing
is for sure though, Butterfield's discovery saved McPherson's troops
in Kingston because the Army in Cassville could have never arrived in Kingston in time to bailout the
On the 19th, General Johnston issued orders that he would no longer
retreat in front of the enemy
but would turn and destroy the invaders. It was at Cassville that he
meant to turn his troops to fight.
Johnston's lines consisted of Hardee on the left, Polk in the
center, and Hood on the right. Wheeler
and Jackson were on the flanks with their cavalries. Johnston was
ready for battle and he issued orders
that meant for two corps to completely surround certain sections of
the Federals. The Confederates
were anxious for a fight too, and they were confident of turning
back the Yankees. However, Johnston's
plans were never carried out and his orders fell apart. Hood and
Polk complained of being exposed to
Federal artillery and Hood took it on his own to move off toward the
right. Polk followed closely behind
Hood and the two had completely abandoned Johnston's orders.
Meanwhile, Hardee was maintaining his
position on the left up on the ridges just South of Cassville in a
line just North of Cass Station. This left an enormous gap which
spelled ruin to Johnston's battle strategy.18
It was late in the day when Johnston called a conference at the McKelvey
home near Cass Station.
At this conference Johnston met with Polk and Hood and decided to
retreat from Cassville. Hardee was
also summoned to the meeting, but arrived just as the conference was
breaking up.19 The McKelvey
home was a mere log cabin and the family was helpless when these
Confederate leaders decided to overtake their home for a meeting. As the McKelvey's waited outside
their home, Johnston, Polk, and
Hood gathered around a table and studied maps under candlelight.
Couriers went running back and forth,
artillery was dragged into position, and men began digging in for
The decision to retreat was made and the worst the War would offer,
as far as fighting goes, passed
Cassville by for the first and last time. What was in Cassville's
near future was even worse however!
Johnston quickly began his retreat. He crossed the Etowah and
withdrew to Allatoona Pass where he
planned to dig in and fight again. Yet rather than attack this
strong position, Sherman moved past it
toward New Hope Church in Paulding County.21 You see, Sherman was
not totally unfamiliar with the
landscape of this area and he knew that following Johnston to Allatoona Pass could be
Long before Sherman came to old Cass County at the head of his army, he visited one of its homes
near Cartersville. He tells about it in his Memoirs:
"In 1844 when a lieutenant in the Third Army I had been sent from
South Carolina, to Marietta, Georgia. . . . . after completing the
work at Marietta our
party was transferred to Bellefonte, Alabama. . . I had ridden the
distance on horseback
and had noted well the topography of the country, especially that
Allatoona and the Etowah river. On that occasion I had stopped some
days with a Colonel
Lewis Tumlin to see some remarkable Indian mounds on the Etowah
river usually called
the Hightower. I therefore, in 1864, knew that the Allatoona Pass
was very strong and
resolved to move instead from Kingston to Marietta via Dallas."22
So the major fighting was over for Cassville and only its
destruction was in its future. A few
minor incidents followed on May 22 and on May 24th Wheeler's
Confederate cavalry struck Federals in
Cassville and destroyed about 250 Federal wagons and took many
cattle. On other days, May 27, June
20th, and November 7th skirmishes were fought in Cassville. On
October 10th, Federals in pursuit of
Hood occupied old Confederate trenches.23
Cassville was now north of the War and the Confederate leaders at
the, Battle of Cassville would rarely be together again. Polk died
atop Pine Mt. in Cobb County in June. Hardee, who hated Hood, was
transferred after Atlanta fell. Hood, with the backing of Jefferson
David, would soon start his disastrous Tennessee Campaign in
There have been several historians who have written about Sherman's
famous "March to the Sea." Almost all of these begin with the
siege of Atlanta and follow it
from that point on. It was here, they claim, that Sherman decided that "War is Hell" and from that point
on total destruction and foraging took place. Still there have been others who claim that Sherman's
change in thinking about war came at a spot he referred to in his
Memoirs as "Hell Hole." Actually
this was New Hope Church, near Dallas, Georgia.25 In opposition, I feel that his change in thinking
must have begun at Cassville. After all, it was Cassville which suffered the torture of being burned and
Cassville was the spot Joseph Johnston had chosen to entrench and fight. New Hope Church was ground of
Sherman's choosing. Therefore, the orders to burn Cassville possibly came in celebration of victory
over Johnston on his own ground. Cassville was the victim of fire, not New Hope Church.
It was on November 5, 1864 when the city of Cassville was destroyed
by fire at the hands of the Fifth Ohio Regiment of the Federal Army under the command of Colonel
Heath and Major Thomas. They said they had orders from Sherman "that not a house be left
within the limits of the incorporation, except the churches." The town had been in the hands of Yankee
forces since May 25th, when General Johnston had retreated without a fight, and left the city to
the mercy of the Union Army. Sherman's forces had marched on in pursuit and, as General Sherman
gave no order to burn the town at that time, many people believe that possible he never did, but the
burning of the town was the work of Yankee stragglers who had some sort of grievance against the
people of Cassville.26
One reason behind this theory is that Yankees had a special
grievance against the town because it had changed its name from Cassville to Manassas and the name of the
county from Cass to Bartow just after the Confederate victory at First Bull Run. The names of the
county and county seat had been altered because the state legislature did not believe that a
Southern town should bear the name of a Michigan general who held the "wrong" views on the slavery
The Union Army destroyed the city and left behind a mass of smoked
walls and charred timber around the limits of the town. During the summer of 1864 the
Federals were in complete control of Cassville and her citizens went through hard times. The nearest
mill was fifteen miles away and those fortunate enough to have a
little wheat or corn had to walk that distance to use the mill. They
walked because all their horses had been seized by either Union or
Confederate cavalries. Usually a few small boys would get together and sneak over to the mill because if they
were caught by Federal troops, their grain would almost always be taken away. One person remembered
that his old home was near the cemetery and his mother built a tent against a fence that ran
around the cemetery and she and her children spent the night there. His father had died in the army only
a short time before and the family watched the city burn just a short distance away from their father's
grave. All the people had to pick berries to help toward their daily meals. It would have been tougher
on the people of Cassville if it had not been for the kindness of a Federal captain stationed in Kingston
who often sent assistance to the people in Cassville.28
Another person remembered that on the morning of November 5th the
Union Army marched into town and, after giving a short notice about what was to follow,
began their work. Within a short time the whole town was in flames. That night the people found themselves
out in the street in a cold rain with not a shelter left over their heads. They could have found
shelter in churches but they had to watch over the few personal belongings they had saved from the
flames. They knew the Yankees would either steal or destroy them if they had a chance.29
The three churches which still are on the same grounds and three
residences were the only structures left standing by Sherman's Army. The home of Dr. Weston Hardy served
as a hospital and was not burned for that reason. The Mercer home also, was spared because of
sickness. Tradition has it, the home of Mr. A. C. Day was saved when the captain saw a certain Masonic
emblem as it dropped from a bible while the family brought out their furniture.30 These three homes
and the Baptist, Methodist, and Presbyterian churches were unharmed.
There is a story that goes along with the burning of Cassville, that
Mr. Tom Word who was clerk of the court loaded his buggy with county records and some of the
files of the county paper when he heard that the town was to be burned and rode away just before
the courthouse building was destroyed. Supposedly he salvaged many of the old books which contained records
With Cassville now gone, the county seat was moved to the nearby
rail center at Cartersville. It seemed useless to rebuild Cassville because of its location and
total destruction. Cartersville Quickly became the new center of
activity in Bartow County and remains so today. All of the
businesses, including several of the businessmen of old Cassville
made themselves new locations in Cartersville. Cassville was only a memory, except for three churches, three homes, and
the die-hards who decided to rebuild. Meanwhile, Cartersville was growing by leaps and bounds.32
By the 1870's, the state owned Western and Atlantic railroad made
Cartersville a major travel center. The "Kennesaw Route" went through Cartersville and made one of only
four stops along its route. It was about a four hour train ride from
Cartersville to Chattanooga and two hours to Atlanta. Occasionally Pullman Palace Cars came through on their way to final
destinations such as Columbus, Savannah, Montgomery, Mobile, New Orleans, Baltimore, and New York.
However, the daily route was from Chattanooga to Atlanta and back again.33
It was this railroad that ended any possibility of rebuilding
Cassville. Cassville could only be reached by horse or stagecoach, while
Cartersville was a major rail
center. It is for this reason that Cassville today is only a small community consisting of the three
old churches, a store, a post office, a new fire station, an empty courthouse square, and a Confederate
1 Georgia Historical Society marker at the site of old courthouse square.
2 Headden, Delle, "The Cassville Schools," November 24, 1954, p. 1. (This was a 12 page paper found within the scrapbooks which was done with most of the information
coming from a book entitled, Bartow County Georgia History.
3 Ibid., pp. 1, 2, and 4.
4 Mahan, Joe, "Cassville Destroyed Seventy-Five YearsAgo:"TheTrlbuneNews, Cartersville, Ga., Thursday, November 2, 1939.
5 Headden paper, pp. 2 and 3, and Georgia Historical Society marker'at the site of the Girls Methodist College.
6 Headden paper, pp. 2 and 3, and Georgia Historical Society marker at the site of the Cherokee Boys College.
7 Headden paper, p. 3.
9 Mahan, Joe, p. 2.
10 Georgia Historical Society marker at courthouse square and Headden paper, p. 2.
11 From a Memorial Day program held at the Cassville Confederate Cemetery in 1963.
12 From observation at the Cassville Confederate Cemetery which is located just behind the Methodist Church on a hill east of Cassville.
13 Spencer, Thomas, "Memorial Day at Cass," The Weekly Tribune News, Cartersville, Ga., Thursday, May 16, 1963, p. 2.
14 Spencer, Thomas, The Weekly Tribune News, Cartersville, Ga., Thursday, May 27, 1948.
16 Georgia Historical Society marker North of Cassville.
17 Spencer, Thomas, May 27, 1948.
20 Spencer, Thomas, "William N. McKelvey Home Called Most Historic Spot In Bartow," The Tribune, Cartersville, Ga., Thursday, June 17, 1948, p. 1.
21 Georgia Historical Society marker at ridge just south of Cassville on Wilson residence.
22 Perkerson, Medora Field, White Columns In Georgia, pp. 201-202.
23 Spencer, Thomas, May 16, 1963, p. 2.
24 Spencer, Thomas, "Looking 'Em Over," The Tribune News, Cartersville, Ga., August 4, 1948, p. 5.
25 Roberts, L. E., "Where Sherman Decided War Was Hell," (Taken from a newspaper clipping within the Headden scrapbooks.)
26 Mahan, Joe, p. 2.
28 Milhollin, J. L. interview found within the Mahan article. (Mr. Milhollin lived in Cassville until his death and was age 13 at the time of Cassville's burning.)
29 McTier, John C. interview found within the Mahan article. (Mr. McTier, as a boy, fled to Atlanta with his mother and sisters after being warned of the city's burning.)
30 Mahan, Joe, p. 2.
31 Ibid. (I was able to find only records for Cartersville within the courthouse at Cartersville and no records from old Cassville. I have been told that some of the old Cassville records may be at the University of Georgia Library along with scattered editions of the Cassville Standard.)
32 From 1869 issues of the Cartersville Standard and Express.
33 From an advertisement in the Thursday, May 27, 1875 issue of the Cartersville Standard and Express, p. 3.
In addition to the specific listings made below, it should also be mentioned that I made an overall survey
of many collections of newspapers from 1869 to 1900 published in Cartersville. Ms. Delle Headden's three
scrapbooks were also extremely helpful and contained at least leads into the information I was able to gather.
Also, a portion of the information assembled came via
historical markers placed strategically throughout old Cassville and Cass Station during the 1950's by the
Georgia Historical Society, the U. S. Department of the Interior, and the Patriots of Bartow County.
Headden, Delle. "The Cassville Schools," November 24, 1954.
Long, E. B. The Civil War Day by Day, An Almanac 1861 - 1865, Garden
City, New York, Double Day and Company, Inc., 1971.
Mahan, Joe. "Cassville Destroyed Seventy-Five Years
Ago," The Weekly
Tribune News, Cartersville, Ga., Thursday, November 2, 1939.
Marschalk, W. A. and A. Marschalk, ed. The Standard and Express,
Cartersville, Ga., Thursday, May 27, 1875.
Perkerson, Medora Field. White Columns In Georgia, New York, Bonanza
Spencer, Thomas. Article within The Weekly Tribune News,
Cartersville, Ga., Thursday, May 27, 1948, p. 2.
Spencer, Thomas. "Memorial Day at Cass," The Weekly Tribune News,
Cartersville, Ga., Thursday, May 16, 1963, p. 2.
Spencer, Thomas. "William N. McKelvey Home Called Most Historic Spot
In Bartow, " The Tribune News, Cartersville, Ga., Thursday, June 17, 1948, p. 1.
Spencer, Thomas. "Looking 'Em Over," The Tribune News, Cartersville,
Ga., August 4, 1948, p. 5.
March 1st 1889 Vol IV No.5
Old Cassville Ga
Editor Kennesaw Gazette
Cassville was once a
beautiful and attractive village situated within a little less than
three miles of the W. & A. Railroad, north of Cass Station, near the
center of Bartow County; but happening to be directly in Sherman's
war-path, it was shorn of its glory and laid in ashes by the federal
Various reasons are
assigned for the cruel deed.
Some said it was on
account of the name of the place being changed by our legislators
from Cassville to Manassas, soon after the battle of Bull Run;
others said it was done in revenge for the waving of a black flag at
Cass Station by two young ladies whose patriotism was greater than
Again it was said that
being so near the railroad it was a harbor for the rebel scouts.
The Federals entered
Cassville on the night of May 19th 1864, and seemed eager to apply
the torch at once. Early the next morning they burned one of the
hotels. Next day Col. Akins residence was burned.
On the 24th Wheelers
cavalry made a raid on a wagon train near Cassville and captured a
number of prisoners, wagons, mules, etc.
Orders were repeatedly
issued for the citizens to leave, and the utter destruction of the
place was threatened; but the threats were not executed till October
12th, when the male college and several private residences were
The male college was
burned by a detachment of Wilders brigade composed of parts of the
98th Illinois, 1st, 3rd & 4th Ohio regiments and on the 5th of
November Col. Heath of the 5th Ohio came with about three hundred
cavalrymen and completed the destruction which left many poor women
and children without shelter from the storms of winter which were
The morning was bright
and clear, but in the evening the smoke arose and formed a dark and
threatening clouds, which for a while suspended over the doomed spot
and then seemed to melt away in the tears of grief.
It seemed as if nature
was weeping over the sad fate of old Cassville.
Mrs. B.B. Quillian